Sunday, June 01, 2008

My date with danger



I took my middle son to a birthday party at the rollerskating rink this afternoon. The birthday girl's mommy and I shared a moment of insanity when we picked up skates for ourselves along with the kids'.

Besides the fact that I hadn't been on skates in fifteen, possibly twenty, years, I had no excuse not to risk a broken arm or tailbone and just get out there. Right? My littlest was at home taking a nap, so he didn't need my attention off the rink. And my thighs and behind definitely needed the exercise. So what if I ended up in the emergency room? What's life without a little risk?!

Plus, my 5-year-old needed a partner for the couples' skate. And he actually wanted me to be his partner. That was reason enough to embarrass myself as I tried to remember where to put my feet so I didn't fall on my face or flat on my back.

Thank God, I never fell. My poor boy did a few times, probably because of me, but since he's already so close to the ground, he recovered well. I don't even want to know what would have happened if I hadn't screamed my way back to a solid upright position the first time my skates started to slip out from under me.

I might have gotten everyone's attention, but at least I'm not wearing a cast!

1 comment:

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

ROFL! And hey, you TOTALLY beat me in the RACE that we entered. Talk about a moment of insanity!! HA HA!

Related Posts with Thumbnails