Friday, January 30, 2009

Pumpkin cream cheese muffins


Who needs Starbucks? Seriously.

I gave up my errand day drive-thru addiction this month, mainly because we're pinching pennies to pay for more important things. Like dental bills and swim lessons. But also because it adds up to more calories and disposable cups than my waistline and carbon footprint need.

Instead, I stole a cute ceramic mug with a lid from my mom's house to take tea with me. (She made me give it back when she saw it in my car the other day -- oops!) And this morning I was inspired to attempt those yummy pumpkin cream cheese muffins I get sometimes.

I've kept our Halloween pumpkins on the patio table outside to stay chilled the last few months. We had some unusually warm days last week, so I decided to bring one in to use for cookies. I split it up and roasted it for 90 minutes. Then I ran out of energy, and just filled a canning jar with the pureed pulp, and moved it to the fridge after it cooled and the lid sealed.

This morning I decided it was time to bake some muffins. I didn't put the cream cheese inside the muffins like Starbucks does, because only two of my kids will eat it at all. I can't say these are going to help my pants fit any better than the drive-thru, but they sure are yummy!

Pumpkin muffins w/ cream cheese spread

1 cup pureed pumpkin
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cardamon
(I would have used ginger, too, but couldn't find it.)

Preheat to 350. Blend wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients. Grease muffin tin or use paper cups. I use a mini muffin tin because they bake up in only 12 minutes. Try 15-18 for regular sized muffins.

Sweetened cream cheese:
8 oz. soft cream cheese
2 Tbp brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Blend with a fork until smooth. Spread on top of cooled muffins as desired. Enjoy!

6 comments:

dawn klinge said...

Oh, yum! Thank you so much for this recipe. I love to get those muffins at Starbucks, but I need to cut back on my trips to that place as well.

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

Those look yummy....Im off to see if I have everything I need to bake some tonight.

Maureen said...

I am SO making these!!! thanks for the recipe.

(I tell people I will eat cream cheese on dirt....so this is a big improvement!)

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I ate the last two when I was watching the boys this morning and they were delicious. Thanks!

Becky said...

Sounds yummy!

Joanne Bischof said...

those look delicious!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails