Friday, February 13, 2009

Soup weather


It's been rainy and cold this week -- the kind of weather that makes me want to stay home, start a pot of soup simmering, and curl up on the couch with my knitting or a good book.

So, I thought I'd share with you one of my very favorite soup recipes:

Lentil Soup with bacon

6 strips of bacon, sliced small
1 large onion, chopped
3 large carrots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped fine
1 can diced tomatoes
1 Tbs fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
3 cups lentils, rinsed
salt and pepper
1/2 cup white wine
8 cups chicken stock
3 cups water
1 bunch of fresh spinach, washed and trimmed
1 tsp balsamic vinegar

Heat soup pot on medium high, then toss in bacon, stir and fry until crispy. Add onions and carrots, stir and let soften, five minutes. Add garlic, stir 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, thyme, lentils, salt and pepper. Stir until heated through and cover. Let sweat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add white wine and bring to a simmer. Add stock and water, bring to a boil, then turn out the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add spinach, stir until wilted. Add balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with a loaf of yummy bread! This makes enough to have plenty of leftovers.

5 comments:

Maureen said...

This is so funny cause I just bought a bag of lentils and was not happy with my 'usual' recipe...this one sounds yummy!

...plus we have spinach in the garden...yea!

leanne said...

Just came across your blog and I love it! Thanks for sharing this recipe...it sounds great. I also love your "to-do" list for 2009. Fun idea!

Joy said...

About how many would you say it serves? Wondering if I need to double it for the 10 of us?

Joy said...

Making right now! My house smells delicious!!!!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

This sounds fantastic! I love the idea of the bacon in with it. 2/3rs of my kids love lentils just over rice, so I think they will love this. Thanks so much for linking up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails