Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Yoga is no cure-all.

So, I'm standing there in triangle pose, trying to breathe and not fall down at the same time, when my 3-year-old bumps into me from behind and for a brief moment I see myself crashing sideways into the coffee table. I panic, and yell at my son, "Stay off my mat!"

I thought yoga was supposed to be make you calmer and more peaceful. Apparently not with two children bouncing through the space. After doing the first 15 minutes of my prenatal yoga video with me yesterday, they got bored and started running through the house and crawling under my legs. Eventually I convinced them to go bounce outside, but by the time I finished the second part of the video, I was exhausted. And my back hurt from being stretched for the first time in two months.

Why is it that the day I profess to have avoided crankiness for a whole week is the day that Monster Mama returns to my house in full grouch mode to make me eat my words? Monday I was even worse. I don't suppose it could have something to do with my 3-year-old weaning himself from naptime. Or the fact that UberDad and I have been staying up too late enjoying the benefits of second-trimester hormones and a cured yeast infection. (Shouldn't a healthy sex life, like yoga, make one MORE patient during the day, not less?)

Today I managed to stay in a good mood until 2:30. We played Chutes and Ladders, Hullabaloo, and Elefun, and then went outside to throw a ball for awhile when the sun came out. The house is picked up, laundry is going, the dishwasher's run. And my neighbor brought me a decaf latte. :) All in all, it had been a pretty good day.

And then I realized Grouper was, once again, NOT going to nap. Despite the stuffy nose and cough he's been fighting for the last four days. Despite the fact that they stayed out with my dad until after 9 last night while my mom and I went to a Passion Party, and didn't get to sleep until 10:30. So, I laid down without him, knowing I needed at least half an hour of peace and solitude to make it the rest of the day. Ten minutes later, Puffer is yelling for me from the living room because Grouper's touched a button on the remote and they can't get back to their show. I did not respond with much understanding or patience.

So, here I am, blogging. Trying to decide if doing yoga again today would be good for my spiritual well-being, or counter-productive considering the two small people currently occupying the living room.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails