Monday, January 11, 2010

On a quest for nourishing winter food


During the warmer months, I load my kids up with vitamins via frozen fruit smoothies -- they're our favorite healthy, sweet snack.

But when the fog rolls in and the temperature drops, I just want to turn on the oven and bake something! So, we indulge in too many Christmas cookies -- accompanied by hot chocolate to warm up the boys' hands after playing outside.

This has not been so good for our health.

I finally took the kids to the doctor last week, since the cold they caught in early December still hadn't fully let go. Eldest's ears were plugged from sniffing up snot. And Middlest had near constant drainage out the front. Gross, yes.

I know it was our month-long indulgence in Christmas cookies that kept them from fighting off the winter cold. (Thankfully, we haven't been fluey this season.)

I need to find something besides cookies and hot chocolate to warm us up on chilly afternoons. I have several ideas, but I need to try them out first, so I can share recipes and responses with you.

In the meantime, we're laying low this week. Getting cozy on the couch with our books, finding our winter rhythm, and making time for rest.

6 comments:

anotherkindofdrew said...

My wife and I enjoy ginger tea (with a bit of flavored honey) and fruit/cheese plates. We also opt for some "sweets" like apple sauce cake or raisin bread rather than cookies. Those can satisfy the desire to bake as well as the ability to warm the boys. As for hot cocoa? I am sorry. It is my weakness too (even at 32 years old....hahahhahaha)

Tanya said...

how about making hot fruit sauces with a sponge or crumble topping instead of frozen smoothies? I like about an inch of ornage juice topped up with hot water as a hand warmer too :)

Unknown said...

Started following your blog recently and enjoying it. I am hosting an art giveaway that you might be interested in. Stop by when you have a chance and take a look.
Blessings
diane

Rana said...

I have been lurking at your blog and love the pics of your family. You have a great blog. I was thinking how about some hot apple cider, or warm milk with a little vanilla? Do your kids like popcorn for a snack? These are some of our favorites when it's cold outside and we want to snuggle. Hope these help.

One More Makes Four said...

My daughter and I love to have mini tea parties almost every afternoon. I know you have boys but for us there is nothing like a warm pot of tea and a little conversation (she is 5).

Melissa said...

We have had a rough winter with colds and such here as well. I got some Rainbow Lite whole food based vitamins for Layla and the prenatals for me. Of course, good nutritious food is always superior to a vitamin though. Hope you all are on the mend.

P.S. I haven't been able to comment for some time since my MAC doesn't like the drop down comment options. I am still enjoying your blog and snuck some on hubby's laptop to make some comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails