Friday, January 22, 2010

Makeover: The master bedroom

Our previous master bedroom was designed in the style of Dysfunctional Utilitarian.

This style became popular after the Romantic Period ended, during the era of The Family Bed, when rule of the Kingdom was stolen captured from the King and Queen by three Rowdy Boys who lacked alternative indoor space for dinosaur hunting, rodeo wrangling, alien tracking, and Naptime.

Prominent features of the style included dirty footprints on the walls, board books next to the bed, a mound of Clothing That No Longer Fits the Queen on the dresser, and cobwebs in the corners.

That was Before.

Then we switched bedrooms, ordered a real bed complete with headboard to hold our mattress, and a new bedspread -- with no marker stains!

We still share it with the Little Princes sometimes.


And sometimes the Rowdy Boys return to wreak their havoc...


and build their fortresses upon our land...


But generally, it's a refuge for the King and Queen again (mostly the Queen)...

14 comments:

Daisy said...

That is hilarious!! Sadly, I'm still in the Dysfunctional Utilitarian stage.

Lynette said...

Love the bedding, Amanda! I also love the paint color!

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

Oh my gosh, that's gorgeous!!

One More Makes Four said...

Y'all did a GREAT job on the room!
~Jessica

Jenny said...

Oh! Do I see drawers under the bed? Or a space for drawers/storage? Great bed!

the good life mama said...

Beautiful! So funny, I was just thinking about this very thing this morning. I would love to create a special spot for my husband and I, but, well, clearly you understand. We have been looking for new beds, though! :)

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

All I can say Amanda, is it's been long overdue! L.O.L.

Deb said...

I know you have boys, but would you consider sharing this?
http://aswewalk.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/launching-an-online-mother-daughter-discipleship-group/
Deb
AsWeWalk.com

Mirjam said...

Wow, that is really beautiful!

And I was laughing at the other pictures! I know exactly what you are talking about (well, I can relate to almost any post you write ;)))

Melinda said...

Your room is so great!!!! And your post is hilarious.I so understand. Unfortunately, I'm past the kids-in-the bed phase but haven't moved back into the romantic bedroom. I'd love some tips!

RavenM said...

So funny!! The 'before' is us right now. Until we finish the King and Queen's upstairs bedroom anyway; right down to the pile of clothes that no longer fit the queen on top of the dresser!! LOL
The bedroom is certainly the preferred indoor play place for anything other than legos or board games... :)

Unknown said...

Cherish your rowdy boys. Cherish everything about them. I miss mine so much that sometimes I feel like my heart is going to crumble up and fall out.

mandi said...

{{{gasp!!!}}} a real bed?!? i think i want one of those!

looks great!

PixiesAndPrincesses said...

That is so awesome! I love that! Your writing style is so fun and cool! You shoudl write a kids book! That would be awesome! And great job with the pictures! We miss you guys so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails