Friday, June 19, 2009

Fiber Arts Friday: Baby hat


I know some people like to make blankets as baby gifts. I can't seem to find the time to commit to such a big project. Especially with the baby boom going on around me this year.

Hats are more my style. They're small enough to carry around so I can sneak in knitting time wherever I go. And if I get a last minute shower invitation, I can whip one out in a couple days.

I've used the "wizard's cap" pattern in Kids Knitting a few times. It's so cute, and you can use any color combo you like. But I needed something even quicker for the last shower I attended. Plus I found some lovely, chunky organic cotton I wanted to use. I found this sweet and easy Cabled Baby Beanie pattern at SweaterBabe.com.

A single skein of super soft yarn and a free pattern, and, voila! Cute, handmade baby gift!


When I'm giving something as small as a hat, I usually add a book or a toy, and some cute receiving blankets, and use one of the blankets as the wrapping "paper." Nothing to throw away afterwards! (Maybe I'll actually knit the toy next time, too.)

14 comments:

Sherry Gann said...

That is such an adorable little hat! I've never picked up knitting needles, but that little project makes me want to. :)

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
You are such a good knitter!
Make me something please!
lol
~Iris

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

How cute!!

Anonymous said...

I'm placing my order!! tee hee hee!!

Tammy said...

That is so cute!! You are very talented, what a great idea.

mandi said...

do you use wool for your baby hats? i love your ideas here...and to knit a little toy! it would be great to just have a little stash, so when the need came you could grab and go. i mean me, not you! sometimes i get stuck in the third person...

Christina said...

How cute and to think you were knitting and coming up with such grand ideas for Hogwarts Homeschooling! I found a great book on Runes at Barnes and Noble in the discounted area up front. It has exercises to go with each Rune. My oldest witch has been asking to learn about Runes. Could we incorporate this book into Hogwarts Scouts or whatever we are calling your brilliant idea? What are we going to call it? Something else to think on!! I also got all the supplies for our Hogwarts divination class. Have you thought on July 3 or 6 yet? Tonight we watched HP 3-your last visit hooked us on the music (: See you Monday.

ChristyACB said...

Super Idea! And you're right, that is just about the cutest package to give a person. :)

Lisa said...

cute! cute! cute!

3rd Wave Inc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth Dargis said...

These are great and the monkey gives it such personality.

Beth Dargis said...

And wow, you are making great strides with what you want to do for 2009!

Diane Gauthier said...

any thoughts on how to enlarge the hat pattern for adult size? my students would LOVE this option when they knit a beanie!

Amanda said...

Actually the pattern comes in larger sizes! Or you can do as I do and never actually use the yarn is calls for, so you end up with a hat that's too big anyway. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails