Saturday, May 30, 2009

Home improvement: the driveway

Just in case anyone wondered, we also like big trucks around here... ;)

This week we had the old, beat up, barely-there blacktop dug out of our driveway...

This was the view out of the boys' window...

It was a four-day process to go from the old blacktop to a new, crisp and clean, concrete driveway...

We loved watching the whole thing, even though we were woken up quite a bit earlier than usual all week. I didn't get photos of the cement-mixer because I forgot to charge my camera battery, and I was still in my pjs when they finished anyhow.

Stay tuned to see new grass and plantings along the side of the house! I've been waiting 10 years to be able to plant roses here!

9 comments:

Heather said...

I grew up riding my back hoes so they have a real soft spot in my heart (my Grandpap was an excavator and my dad worked for him in the summer.) We need to do that to our drive but it is n't happening anytime soon. Too much else to do on this old house.

used bucket trucks said...

that was a very interesting post.. thanks for sharing..

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

Wow, how exciting!! It looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

How neat! My redneck husband loves to operate these heavy machinery :o) even my son is wearing a shirt with a picture of that machine right now :) err, obviously I don't know the name of it.. errr, don't tell my husband. I don't want to shame him (winks) keep us updated on the progress!!

Toni said...

what a fun adventrue for your kids. It is fun to watch those big trucks at work.

mandi said...

fun! roses will look beautiful!
are you nervous about keeping on those two tracks? i'd be the fool stuck sideways, back tires in the roses, front in the bushes.

ChristyACB said...

The new driveway looks super fab! Can I ask why the two strips minus the middle? Is that for flooding or something?

Amanda said...

Thanks for all the compliments! :)

Mandi - We'll fill in soil between the runners, but I'll still let Scott park in the driveway! :)

Christy - It's a 100-foot driveway all the way to the garage, so the strips save a lot of money on concrete, but it's also a classic look for bungalows around here.

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

It looks great! I can't wait to see the grass and the roses.

Related Posts with Thumbnails