Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Time for some lactivism!

Yesterday my neighbor and I took the kids to the local children's museum to let them run off some steam. It's the perfect place to go on a hot day since it's all indoors. My friend Megan and her family gave us a membership for Christmas (thanks, Meg!!), so it's free, air-conditioned fun!

There were just a few other moms and kids there, and one I recognized from the Nurse-Out Carla and I organized two years ago for World Breastfeeding Week. She and another mom were there together after meeting on the Mothering Dot Commune message boards, so we chatted a bit about birth, cloth diapers, extended nursing, etc. And I realized that it's actually World Breastfeeding Week NOW!

Unfortunately, I haven't really become any more connected locally to other lactivists in the last two years besides my own few friends. I've never been to a La Leche League meeting, or a Breastfeeding Promotion Coalition meeting, although I get the latter's monthly agenda via e-mail. I haven't even been helping out on the Comfortline since management went through some changes a year ago. I'd like to get involved again, but of course I have a million other things I want to do, too.

Anyhow, getting some moms together for a Nurse-Out or other event this week seems like a fairly minor commitment while still being politically active. So, I'm going to see about it. In the meantime, here's a favorite link to 101 Reasons to Breastfeed.

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

OMGoodness i totally forgot to share my story on my blog, i will do that now

Justine said...

I only needed one reason to breastfeed: It is the best possible way to feed and love and comfort your baby. Nutrition and security in one blessed act of God's provision.
Wish I had had more of a support group when my daughter was "on the boob" - in-laws were wary and disgusted, friends were squeamish too, but my dad and husband were there 110%.
Thanks for your blog - I've been enjoying it for months. This post sparked my memory of the Days of the Boob :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails